Mama Bevy's Blog











Friday, October 29, 2004

Churchill

What a great teaching trip that was. I had a super group of ladies to train. I told their supervisor that I would hire any one of them. They love kids and are enthusiastic learners. The side benefits for me were that I saw an Arctic (white) fox, a cross fox, and a polar bear. I walked to the community complex the first morning of training dragging my training kit and was told that a few days prior, a polar bear had been sitting on the steps that I just walked up!! The bears are hungry at this time of year as the Hudson Bay isn't frozen and they can't catch seals on the ice. I was told that the bears have always come to this part of the bay in the fall and the town of Churchill was built right where the bears migrate. The bears were there first. They aren't looking for humans, just food. The terrain is so different from anywhere I've been in the north before, black rock, a few tiny trees and water. The big community complex is built overlooking the Hudson Bay so you can stand inside and see and hear the waves hitting the shore a short distance away. The sunsets up there are amazing. The sky was a bunch of shades of bright pink. One evening, whisps of white clouds crossed over the pinks and looked like lace over a bright background. I was in the air, flying home, during the eclipse of the moon and was given the gift of a front row seat of the event. WOW!! It seemed that as the moon became hidden the part that still was shining was glowing brighter. When only a sliver of light remained out from the shadow, it was so bright it was hard to look at (almost like sunlight). What a magnificent show all the way home--better than any movie. I'd go again--a great place to VISIT.