Mama Bevy's Blog











Saturday, September 11, 2004

Destiny

We were having a discussion in our family about a child's sense of destiny. A friend suggested that it was a father who instilled in a child their sense of personal destiny. I could see where that was true for a couple of my brothers. Erica (my daughter) asked me, "So what did He (my dad) instill in you?"
That set me to thinking---and that was part of the answer to her question----
1. to think, to think philosophically, to think globally or at lease well beyond the borders of the small community in which I was raised.
2. to have a Social conscience, a Cultural and a Political awareness. To see the world around me and the world at large.
3. to see the beauty, and wonder of creation and the wonder of what man has invented or been able to accomplish.
4. to wonder, to ponder ideas and thoughts, to think outside the box, not to fear different ideas but measure them carefully with wisdom.
5. to love music, harmony and appreciation of musical skill.
My father was a farmer but it wasn't his practical skills that I picked up, but the ideas and ideals of THE MAN who lived in overalls and rubber boots.
It is easy to figure out if your father encouraged you to be a farmer or carpenter or teacher. Those are recognizable titles. I have no idea what I am (title unknown) as I have done many different jobs in my life. I DO know that my father has greatly influenced what I have become. The older I get the more I like his influence on my life and THIS IS A GOOD THING!!