Mama Bevy's Blog











Sunday, August 22, 2004

reading content or exacting detail

My mother went to school in a different country and then learned English as a sixteen year old when she immigrated to Canada. I learned as a child to read for content and intent and ignore what was actually written on the page. My husband reads every comma, period, written word, spelling mistake, and grammatical error!! This drives me nuts!! To me he totally misses the POINT of the writer with his critical eye on the errors. (He could not read Mom's letters AT ALL) . I know it is good that we all see life with a different lens so that many different skills for many different jobs are covered. Last week I was reading a copy of one of the books in the Narnia series and ran across three spelling mistakes. I was amazed that I caught them as usually I wouldn't notice, in enjoying the story, something as trivial as a spelling mistake!! Maybe Arts' ways are rubbing off on me after all these years. I hope my ways are rubbing off on him too!