Mama Bevy's Blog











Tuesday, November 16, 2004

A good teacher

I've been thinking about how I like learning new things. One of my favorite teachers here in Winnipeg is Dr. Lois Edmunds. Whenever she teaches something, she takes a huge subject and breaks it down into it's simplest form. She could expound for hours on any part of the subject but chooses to only answer questions people put to her once the explanation is complete. I come away from a session with her THINKING about what she has said (like a cow chewing it's cud) for hours, days and sometimes weeks after. To me her motives are pure in teaching. She wants her students to HEAR concepts that will enable them to understand and live life better. She doesn't use her knowledge to SHOW OFF her intellect (although she easily could). She tries to keep the information in terms her pupils understand and not use technical terms that would have to be explained to the layperson. She is intuitive and direct when someone is trying to skirt an issue that needs to be address. She is gentle with someone being pushed too fast. She hears WAY beyond what people are actually saying to get to the heart of an issue. She can summarize a large group conversation in a few short sentences. I come away encouraged with different tools to face life. I find her wisdom amazing and always look forward to any classes she teaches. I too teach sometimes. I would like to be able to do half as good a job someday as this remarkable lady.