Mama Bevy's Blog











Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Belief Systems

I had an enlightening experience when I was in Kansas City this last time. There was a new court case involving Roe verses Wade coming before the Supreme Court. Both the little kids prayer room and IHOP were praying passionately about the situation. I believed the prayers were correct and could MENTALLY assent to the prayers but I felt no passion in my heart towards this issue. As I usually do when my heart doesn't line up with my head, I asked God WHY. The following morning as I was waking up I had this understanding come into me.
The Woman's Rights movement and the abortion issue was fused together inside of me. I heard the words (in my mind---no audible voice) "The woman's movement gave you a voice when you didn't believe you had a voice". That ah-ha moment followed--- This woman's movement was liberating for me!! In an EXTREMELY male dominant culture, I was given the opportunity to have my opinion count. (Abortion was a part of the package that I didn't LIKE but overall the package was liberating). So I asked God AGAIN---"Please give me YOUR HEARTFELT feelings and attitude towards this new thing that has been unearthed". My next thought was for women my age or older that threw out THE WHOLE PACKAGE, because some of it was wrong. They could be still believing THEY HAVE NO VOICE. How sad.