Mama Bevy's Blog











Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Sick of change

I told my kids yesterday that I was going to blog about change. I AM SICK OF IT!! Let's start with the phone systems. We used to have one phone company and MUCH SMALLER phone bills. I thought competition was supposed to lower prices not make them SKY ROCKET!! Then there is all the technology around VHS, DVD,and DVR machines. I need help programing ANY of them and if something (heaven forbid) should get messed up on one of the machines or the remotes that run them, I have NO IDEA how to fix them. I HAVE adjusted to the CD's from tapes (and even like them) so now they throw in MP3's to mess up THESE systems. We won't even go into the frustrations of things that can go wrong with computers!! I discussed these DEEP frustrations (in very colorful language), with my youngest son. I told him that when I was a young adult change came slow enough that we could keep up......now I am in a very frustrating position of feeling like a COMPLETE IDIOT most of the time. I've never considered myself an idiot before and I DON'T like the feeling. He said that I must change my views on storing information. We(my generation) knew things in our heads and his generation knows that everything is on line and can be accessed and then forgotten until needed again. His generation KNOWS there is too much information, in every field, all the time, to try to retain it all so you just ACCESS what you need. I DO GET what he is saying, but even THIS HELPFUL information means CHANGE for me ....AAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!!! I think I'll go listen to a CD without a remote control.... I CAN, after all push PLAY!!!