Mama Bevy's Blog











Thursday, February 22, 2007

Butter, lard and fat.

Very early in my childhood I remember turning a butter churn. Not the kind that went up and down but the kind that rolled a barrel over and over. When butter was needed, the cows milk was separated from the cream with a hand turner "separator". Cream came out a spout on top of the separator and milk out another spout under the cream spout. (I'm sure and encyclopia would have pictures or the butter churn and the separator). The churn turned the cream until it became butter and the butter was separated from the left over liquid (butter milk). I remember salt being added to the butter. I don't recall making cheese although that was a staple food, always availible. I remember when we purchased margarine for the first time. It was in a bag like a thick firmly sealed zip lock bag. It was white with a little circle of yellow dye in the centre of the bag. We squeezed the yellow dot and broke the dye inside the bag and then squished the whole thing until the the white margarine was a light yellow like butter. Baking was done with lard or chicken fat until margarine came along. Lard was from butchered pigs before Crisco. Mom's fried chicken fried in chicken fat was the best fried chicken I've ever eaten to this very day.