Mama Bevy's Blog











Saturday, February 03, 2007

Realities from my early life. Part 1

I watch and listen. That is a part of who I am. I've decided that I will share some realities of life from my early childhood and those of my siblings ( who are all still living). By this statement I'm identifying that this is the not so distant past. Since that time the realities of life have changed a GREAT DEAL.
REALITY#1. (Pun not intended) THE OUTHOUSE, BIFFY, Now some of you youngsters may feel you know about this as you've used one camping. WRONG!! No comparision. A two hole outhouse was a most common thing. It was a good distance away from the house in a down hill direction usually situated in a stand of trees. Two people going there together made good sense. In summer although it was smelly, it was warm and comfortable. In winter, it was frigid. We did not have the luxury of toilet paper when needed. We literally used an old Eaton's catalogue, wraps from Christmas oranges, and news paper when available. (This is NOT a joke - it really happened). As far as the catalogue was concerned, soft index pages went first. Now put this information together with the fact that the house had no running water. Everyone bathed on Saturday night so we were clean and shiny for church. Consider the extra knowledge that printers ink runs when it is wet! I can hear my son-in-law screaming "Too much information". Sorry folks no germ killing soap was available, no water on the scene so it was back to work or play. I can tell you if it was the dead of winter, this all happened VERY QUICKLY.