Mama Bevy's Blog











Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Psalm 19

Listening to aCd, the teacher pointed out that we know God through CREATION (1-6), through the wisdom of the Law of the Lord (7-11), and through worship (12-14).

In my life experience creation was attacked through the theory of evalution. Not God but a comic mistake blew the world into being. Even though I learned The Creation Story LITERALLY from an infant in Sunday School, I've been realizing that the mocking of the modernists still left a residue around the edges of my heart.

The second way we know God is through the Law of the Lord. The big theme in my early teens was "god is dead". I had the opportunity all my life to listen to wonderful preachers and teachers. Most of my heart is "converted" (as we say in Christianeese). But I could again see how these shadows still were present in me, more in silencing ME than in speech.

I "saw" these things like smoke on a glass window. When we had a wood stove burning all winter, we never noticed the film of smoke residue on the glass until someone 'touched' it. Then it was evident that the dirt was there.

The third way to know God has always been the purest for me --through Worship. As we learn that "The Lord inhabits the praises of his people", this has been true for me. Worshipping alone or in a group brings HIS SWEET PRESENCE!!

Wipe me clean Lord, all the smoke and soot from walking this earth. Only in the LIGHT can I see the darknesses still in me.